3 Home Maintenance Tips For Houston Summers
In summer, your biggest concern should be about how many guests are coming to your summer party, and not how to fix a rotted deck or a leaky appliance. The key to summer home maintenance in Houston is prevention. By inspecting and fixing small issues you find, you can guard against bigger, more expensive problems going forward. Here’s 3 home maintenance tips for summer that help you remain in control of your home’s maintenance before larger problems happen.
1. Make Your Home More Energy Efficient
Summer is a great time in Houston to work on your home’s energy efficiency so that you can keep your home cool and your utility bills low. Begin by checking your windows and doors for air leaks. Put weatherstripping on doors or replace brittle weatherstripping if you feel air passing through. Check your windows’ caulking for any missing pieces or cracks and replace it if needed.
You can also lower your energy bill by purchasing an energy efficient window treatment like plantation shutters - and perhaps even get a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters minimize air transfer through your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than normal wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which are found in many homes.
2. Brighten Up Your Patios And Porches
If you’re planning on hosting parties on your patio or deck this summer, ensure it’s ready for guests. Begin by inspecting your deck or patio for safety. Look underneath to see if there are any boards, supports, or steps that need to be replaced because they’re soft and rotted. Give your deck and patio a new look and shield it from the summer sun and rain by staining or sealing it.
After you’ve fixed any damaged boards and areas and sealed your patio, you’re ready for the fun part - making it shine. Make your doors and windows next to your deck and porch more interesting by adding window treatments such as sidelight shutters or plantation shutters for your sliding door or french doors. Then enhance your porch and patio with stylish patio furniture or a fire pit. Landscape the area around your porch or patio to cheer up the space.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Appliances that are broken or leak can put a damper on your summer activities. Here’s some things to watch out for with your major appliances to help them run smoothly:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils can raise your utility bill since your fridge needs to work harder. It’s easy to vacuum them out. Begin by unplugging your refrigerator and then use your vacuum’s crevice tool (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to vacuum out and unclog the coils.
● Dishwasher. Check your dishwasher for any leaks or backed up water. Then deodorize it and give it a deep clean by running a cycle with a cup of vinegar. The last step is to empty and clean the filter (which is underneath the spray arms in most dishwashers) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Check your washing machine hoses for any leaks, cracks, or bulges. If necessary, replace the hoses. Once a year, you should clear out your dryer hose and exterior vent or have a professional do the job.
Enjoy Your Summer
By maintaining your home and appliances, you’ll be able to have a relaxing summer. If you’re interested in giving your house a beautiful look this season with window treatments for your patios, dining rooms, or living rooms, look through our idea gallery and then give us a ring for a free in-home consultation at 713-853-9629. We’ll show you all your window treatment options in Houston and do all the measuring and installation so you can just relax and enjoy your summer.