“Spring is the time of plans and projects.” - Leo Tolstoy. Spring brings out the desire to fling open the windows and clean out the cobwebs so that your home looks its best.
Here are 3 home improvement tips for spring in Houston to give your home a fresh start.
1. Go Through A Spring Checkup For Energy Efficiency And Safety
Spring is one of the best times to check that your home’s systems are working properly for the summer. Homeowners in Houston should inspect these things each spring:
- HVAC System. Run a test on your air conditioning system to ensure that it’s ready for summer. Improve your HVAC system’s energy efficiency by swapping out your furnace and air conditioning filters. Some HVAC companies provide this service for a low fee.
- Smoke Detectors. Test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to keep your home and loved ones safe. Put new batteries in your alarms each spring and fall.
- Caulking and Windows. Inspect the caulking around windows, doors, and kitchen and bathroom fixtures for cracks. Replace the caulking as needed. Add window treatments, including plantation shutters, to improve the energy efficiency of your windows. Open up your windows to ensure that they can easily move.
2. Give Your House A Deep Clean So That It Shines
If you want to see your house really sparkle, give it a deep clean. Start by decluttering your rooms to open up your home. Then clean areas you don’t clean every week including ceiling fans, floors, baseboards, and kitchen and bathrooms walls. Wipe your fixtures until they shine. Vacuum your furniture and the area under and behind it.
Bring in more natural light by cleaning your windows. Wash your screens and windows to remove dirt and grime. Clean your window treatments including shutters, draperies, and shades. You can give your blinds a new look with an ultrasonic cleaning treatment.
3. Give Your Rooms a New Look By Redecorating
After you’re done with deep cleaning, it’s time for the fun part: redecorating.
The simplest way to redecorate your home is to find new ways to use things you already have. You can give your room a whole new feel by rearranging the furniture. Or try shopping your home. This means you switch out the items you already have between rooms. Bring in more color with colorful accessories, paint, and live plants.
If you’re ready to completely redo the look of a room, then browse through our idea gallery for inspiration. It’s brimming with photos of different styles of rooms and window treatments for every space in your house. Once you’ve decided on colors and the style you like, you can bring in matching furniture, paint colors, and accessories.
An easy update for your rooms is to bring in window treatments that match yourcurrent furnishings and enhance your rooms. You can pick from a variety of shutters including plantation shutters, reclaimed wood shutters, and barn door shutters in addition to blinds and shades.
Check Out More Design Tips
Take a look at our design tips for more ideas for your home. And when you find a look and window treatment that you like, call us at 713-853-9629 or fill out the form below to set up a free in-home consultation. Our team will help you choose the perfect window treatment to give your home a beautiful, fresh look this spring.